5th GRADE CURRICULUM
Welcome Teachers! Thank you for inviting Garden of the Salish Sea Curriculum into your classroom. If we are working in your school directly, find the complete set of materials that you will need below. Download and print. Find the PowerPoints and videos for select exercises linked on the right.
Please prepare your students for our visits by showing the videos and asking students to complete the pre-lab and post-lab activities in their Science Notebooks.
The notebook is included in its entirety below, however, we have provided the option to print it in chapters below and in the column to the right.
Please print these materials:
- Photo Release Form
- Science Notebook Title Page (Print in color)
- 5th Grade Science Notebook (complete notebook)
- Salish Sea Watersheds Challenge
- Teacher Evaluation
- Steward Certificate
Students will need to use our website to complete their science notebook. This can be done during computer or library time. Teachers are encouraged to choose from additional tie-in activities such as artwork, games and additional videos on this website, to enhance the materials.
If you are interested in using our curriculum independently, you may choose to download the individual chapters and exercises on the right per the needs of your classroom.
*Blaine 5th Grade Teachers please use some of the following mini lessons during the time between the OA lesson and the field trip.
- Salish Sea Challenge Discussion - pg 4
- Shellfish in Time & Place (computer activity) pg 19
- Exploring shellfish issues (computer activity) pg 28
- Coastal communities blog (computer activity) pg 29
- Oyster Art pg 29
- 3 games kits will be provided for teachers to share (Notebook Chapter 6)
- Dissolving Shells Classroom Experiment (use with Shell Building slideshow)
Introduction to practicing environmental stewardship. Please watch introductory video and engage students in discussion about the ways they can be a steward and prevent water pollution.
Water Pollution (Teacher Responsibility)
2. INTERTIDAL Biome
Please have your students prepare for our 1st presentation by watching this video and completing the Pre-lab activities in the Science Notebook.
Video: Intertidal Biome (Teacher Responsibility)
2 - Intertidal Biome Lesson Plan (DRAFT)
3. SHELLFISH Topics
Map: Shellfish Around the World (Teachers please show after introduction)
Video: Shellfish Filter Water (Teachers please show after introduction)
Video: Time Lapse of Clam Filtration (Teachers please show after introduction)
- 3.1 - Salish Sea Stewards (Incorporated in lesson plan 1)
- 3.2 - Watersheds Lesson Plan (DRAFT)
- 3.3 - Oyster Exploration Lesson Plan (DRAFT)
- 3.4 - Shellfish in Time & Place Lesson Plan (DRAFT)
4. OCEAN Acidification
Video: The Other CO2 Problem - Teacher Responsibility before GSSC presentation
5. FIELD Inquiry
5.4 - Field Notes Lesson Plan (DRAFT)
5.6 - Water Quality Lesson Plan (DRAFT)
Wrap Up & Reflection
Extended Activities includes:
- Amazing Algae
- Dissolving Shells Experiment (use with Shell Building slideshow)
- Clam Identification
- Videos, Slideshows, and Links (for guided independent research)
- NOAA Salish Sea Coloring Book